Monday, November 17, 2014

Why does walking equal worthwhile?



I would guess that the title would give you an indicator of how this is going to go, and that maybe, JUST MAYBE I am a little bit pissed off.

I am from a small town, and whilst the vast majority of people I meet are helpful, there are exceptions to this rule, as there always is, and these exceptions make me want to stab myself in the face. Or maybe not. But you get the idea….

Just because I am using a wheelchair or a scooter, it doesn't mean that my mind and voice don't work. And even if they didn't, it doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate being talked to. Not about, in or out of earshot. Or at. But to.

I can't imagine that this has a difference internationally, so this is my plea to all you readers. If you should meet anyone that appears different, or without some ability, and you have something to say, or ask, PLEASE talk TO that person. I promise you, that it will be appreciated.

I tell you what's not appreciated. Sometimes, I catch people do a double take of me and the Good Man. And I even had one of these double take fuckwits say to me, "He's good, isn't he? Being with you." To which I replied. "No. He's LUCKY to be with ME." I could've said SO much more, but we were in a public place….

Today was an exception, with people treating me well and like a normal. And that's sad. Because it should not be an exception. It should be normal. Because, I am NORMAL….. ish. I have thoughts. I have feelings. I have a voice. What I don't have are working legs. That's all. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean that it's ok to treat me, or ANYONE ELSE as less.

And to think, I'm the one that's described as being without ability.



No comments:

Post a Comment