Monday, September 15, 2014

Am I a heavy awkward box?

We have just had a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. The Good Man, needing help to access a manual handling course, was advised to talk to our local Centre For Independent Living (C.I.L). The person at C.I.L clearly did not get what The Good Man meant, and popped a Care Services Directory in the post. If you were elderly, and considering your care options, I dare say it would be useful. However, it was anything but, for someone like me. All the photos were of care homes, or elderly people. There was a tiny bit of information about manual handling. Not useful enough for us to actually use. Unless I become a heavy box you might meet at work…….

The information we have on manual handling is kind of like half a job……just a list of villages where the courses are run….and that's it. Oh and there's talk of handling objects and materials. NOT PEOPLE. No dates, no times, no contact information. Ugh!
I need to protect The Good Man. Because I need him to be on top form. And he needs to protect himself. I am not large, but christ on a bike, I can be a dead weight sometimes, that's just immovable. So, the search goes on…….There must be something…….we will keep digging.

So, what's about if you are in the middle ground? I'm not a child, and I'm not elderly, so, what? What is there? Believe me, I'd rather chew my own arm off than ask for help. But, needs must and all that. I'm a bit crap, and I need help. Luckily, I am a bit of a terrier, and I didn't let go easily of the idea, THAT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING! Well, there is something, and blimey, it wasn't offered EVER. The information was well guarded, like I don't know what. Well, anyway, when I finally scaled the wall of this fortress, and I was rewarded with meeting straight forward, helpful people. That treated me like a real person! Joy! (Sing that bit…...in operatic styleeeee.)

As if life isn't shit enough, that when you've been dealt a crappy hand, and have lost your ability to walk, work, drive and be independent, please offer helpful services readily. What happened to me, could happen to any one of you.

And it's lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment